Friday, March 21, 2014

20% Proj. 6 Blog Reflections: Number 4



           Speech Therapy in the hospital setting has always interested me. As I research technology such as the iPad and its use in this setting, I am even more intrigued by the possibilities and success it brings. The iPad already has so many features that people do not realize. As I wanted to learn more about this, I asked two of my mom’s friends, who both practice Speech Pathology, if they integrate any of the i-devices into their work setting. One of them, Mrs. Epstein, works in a school setting. However, she informed me that she uses many methods, including the iPad. She said there are several helpful apps on it. She then proceeded to name some off, which I have taken note on.  She proceeded by telling me that she also uses flashcards, listening and speaking programs on the computer, and verbal interactive activities. The second lady, Mrs. Alexander, is a Speech Therapist at a hospital—my intended goal. She said she emphasizes a wider range of interactive hearing and speaking techniques, but she also uses the iPad because it provides many helpful activities. She said there are even apps that track improvement. I think that these women really helped back up my research about the various effective methods and advantages the iPad brings to the hospital setting, as well as other settings such as the school. Both of them were fascinated about my project and were glad they could contribute to such an interesting topic. They recommended I do more research on the specific apps they told me about. They gave me some useful tips about not only the project, but also about the career. I plan on shadowing both of them over the summer and see for myself exactly how technology, such as the iPad, is integrated into their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment