Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Augmented Reality Reflection

There are many advantages and disadvantages of using augmented reality in the school setting. I believe it will create too much dependence on technology. Using computer produced content in education. As technology improves every single day, augmented reality (AR) programs will as well. Students can benefit from using these by keeping up with modern day programs and learning how to work technology so that they can use it as a tool inside the classroom and outside of it. Also, it provides a new perspective for students to see from. They can use AR apps to change perceptions so that they are more understandable or relatable. Especially because most teenagers these days have access to iPhones, AR can be extremely useful.
In the article provided, a teacher lets her class use their phones to go on a quest through the zoo using AR to learn about biology and certain sicknesses of animals. I have never had an experience with AR personally, but I would definitely be willing to try it if I had a couple days to learn about the program and figure out how to work it properly. I think this has the ability to be a very useful tool, letting students be designers and help them gain confidence. I think in the future AR will allow me to use technology to its highest potential in the Speech Therapy setting. It could help me use games and other methods to help patients with speech and sound activities. They will be able to use interactive games that will really help them.
I researched the Augmented Car Finder app; this app allows you to take a picture of where you are parking, shows you a map of where you are and moves with you to find the car. A type of GPS in the app tracks the car and keeps up with the car’s gas level. The app even allows parents to track their kids’ locations and how fast they are going. This app just shows the ability that AR brings to all people. Augmented reality is capable of so many highly advanced actions. This will change learning and teaching as the world knows it. In 20 years, education might only take place with technology.
Overall, I think using augmented reality in the classroom is beneficial to some degree. Just like any other technology, teachers should use it as a tool for teaching and not depend upon it. I did not use it in the classroom in high school because I went to a small private school, and they did not usually let us have our phones or iPads out. I could see myself using it when we dissected animals or something like that. However, ARIS can be beneficial if there is not a reliance on it.

This first picture is a collage I made of interesting pictures of Augmented Reality being used. Clearly, it can do such complex things. 

This second picture is a collage I made of students actively learning by using Augmented Reality. There is even a nursing student using it in the picture on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment